A Few Thoughts...

I am new to this blogging world, but I'm trying to 'keep up with the Jones's', so to speak. I have so much to be thankful for and wanted to share my world with anyone interested in following. Mostly, I guess, this is for my family and friends, but I am interested in broadening my world to new friends.

With this Blog, I hope to, not only update where my kids and I are and what we are doing with our lives, but also, to begin sharing a little bit about my testimony. It's been quite a journey these past 7 yrs. but I've finally reached a place in my life where I can speak and share without bitterness, anger or un-forgiveness. Now I can share from a place of healing.

Matthew 26:7 says, "there came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat."
This is my 'alabaster box' or blog, if you will. It is my most treasured thoughts about the people, things and events that mean the most to me. I hope this little blogspot of mine will help somedays and inform on other days. I'm already enjoying this little journey...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Power of an Apology...

Thought...


Why do we always apologize?  Especially over things for which we are not guilty.  I have spent my life apologizing for the smallest of things.  When I stopped to think about all the circumstances in which I submitted an apology, I realized how loosely this act had been used.  I believe that if you are responsible for needing to issue one then act accordingly.  Always use this special word, that excuses you from sticky situations when it is truly needed.  


I've noticed so many people loosely using this term, and it saddens me when they may not be guilty of such an act.  I've changed my focus over the years and decided to really focus on when it was time to issue an apology.  It has enriched me as an individual.  I discovered, that in the past, because I would say "I'm sorry", it didn't mean I was guilty.  However, guilty or not, because of this expression of regret, I found myself always living as a mortar or in a state of constant guilt. 


It's amazing the power of one little word or a 3 word phrase..."I'm sorry".  


It's time to start slowing down our thinking a little and focus on this...  Do we realize just exactly what we are sorry for?  Are you truly sorry for a word spoken in truth to another? However, just because that person didn't like what was said you try to save yourself by throwing out an apology to save the friendship? Meanwhile, you're actually compromising your own beliefs, out of fear, because of what another might think or feel about you.  This is called 'Emotional Control'.


Our words have power! Use them wisely. A simple apology might allow the other person the freedom to feel better but it can actually keep you in bondage, emotionally, for something in which you are not responsible.


Let me clear things up...I believe in apologies!  I give them out.  However, I refuse to give one if I believe the act was justified, or I believe what I said to be true.  If I said something to someone, that was truth but hurt them in the process...the responsibility is on their part, not mine.  I empathize with the individual  if what I said made that person feel bad, but I refuse to apologize for standing up for myself and taking a stand for something for which I believe to be true.  Don't apologize for your beliefs, your actions, or who you are, if you truly believe in your heart that you acted or spoke responsibly.  Otherwise, you will be controlled by others and their emotions over your actions.  That is just something I choose not to live with any longer.


Live Freely!  This is one way to start living outside the 'emotional control box'.

No comments:

Post a Comment